In the latest Sophisticate's Hairstyle Guide June/July 2012 (pg 110-111), there is a Mad Men makeup/hair secrets.
BettyFrancis (January Jones):
- January's hair is set using a small curling iron and finished with White Sands settinbg spray, Kerastase hairspray and lots of teasing. Owen's notes that her hair pretty much falls into the Betty haristyle.
- Additionally, "She has a single process blonde. "
- A matte foundation and "pink lipstick like MAC Impassioned" are used to achieve the Betty look.
Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks):
- To achieve the Joan look, a curl set and and three-quarter length wig are used, as only "the outer edges and bangs are her own hair."
- In the office she is more conservative, but at night she is a little more Brigitte Bardot-like."
- "Christina's roots are touched up using Redkin haircolor."
- Joan's staple lip is "Laura Mercier lipstick in Baby Lips-an orangey-pink."
- "Peggy's hair is curled into the Peggy flip, and a lot of hairspray is used to coerce into the Peggy style as Moss's hair is very fine and straight."
- Her makeup is made to look as though she has not yet mastered the putting on makeup look. "Her lips are a natural pink tone, and Julie Hewett Cheekie is used on her cheeks."
These facts are from the show's Hair Department's Head Terrie Owen, and Makeup Department Head Lana Horochowski.
The Sophisticate's Hairstyle Guide has become a great source for beauty secrets for some of my favorite stars. I highly recommend checking out this bimonthly magazine.
Note: I am not sponsored or being paid to write anything about this magazine.